As visitors travel through the towns of Eastern Plumas County, they notice the friendliness and hospitality, in the true sense of rural mountain living. Towns that are far enough apart to have their own characteristics are close enough to share each other's services and interests. It doesn't matter if you visit Beckwourth, Blairsden, Chilcoot, Clio, Cromberg/Sloat, Graeagle, Johnsville, Portola, Vinton or somewhere in between, you will be sure to find something unique and different.
*Some of our pictures are courtesy of: Visitors Bureau, Linda Cooley, Debra Baer, Linda Johnson, Big Fish Creations, Explore Sierra Touring Company and Beckwourth Ranger District.
- Graeagle, a former lumber mill, features a quaint array of identical red buildings that house gift shops and services. Blairsden, Graeagle and Clio, in the Mohawk Valley, have gained prominence as planned residential centers for vacation and retirement residents.
- Portola City, The City of Portola, The Pride of the West, is the only incorporated city in Plumas County. Their Heritage has transitioned over the years from a stage stop for early Gold Rush pioneers, to an essential rail yard for the former Western Pacific Railroad, and it is now a modern community with all the amenities you desire to work, live and play in.
- Johnsville, the historic town, is located in the heart of Plumas Eureka State Park. Johnsville was an elderly mining town now filled with pictures and non-restored Gold Rush era structures along side modern homes.
- Lakes Basin Recreation Area contains dozens of lakes, most of them accessible by hiking and horse trails. Gold Lake, (the largest) is steeped in the lore and legend of the California Gold Rush. Gold Lake is located South of Graeagle between Highways 89 and 49. There are over 9,000 acres of wilderness, lakes, streams and trees. Because of the high altitude Quaking Aspen are some of the first trees to turn in the fall.
- The Union Pacific Railroad and the Middle Fork of the Feather River intersect Portola, Plumas County's only incorporated city. Nearby Lake Davis is well known for excellent trophy trout fish.
- Sierra Valley occupies a major portion of Eastern Plumas and plays a major role in the county's cattle producing industry. Here are situated the towns of Beckwourth, Vinton and Chilcoot, the latter being the gateway to Frenchman Lake.